While domestic travel around the world is predicted to be the preference this year, we are expecting international travel to begin it’s rebound in 2022.
As Australia’s international borders opened up yesterday, we wanted to look at five countries preparing to say "Hello" to international travellers again.
Bula! Since reopening to international travellers last December, the tropical island nation of Fiji is in the forefront of people's minds as their ideal getaway. Home to 333 islands, there are endless activities on offer, from cultural experiences to water sports and off-the-beaten-track adventures. Let’s not forget the incredible Fijian hospitality delivered by some of the friendliest people you will ever meet.
- Proof of fully vaccinated status.
- Travel from partner countries (view the full list here).
- Negative PCR test 24-48 hours before arrival (if positive for COVID-19 within the last 30 days, proof of isolation or fit to fly certificate from a medical practitioner is needed).
- Travel insurance.
- Booking in a CFC certified accommodation.
For full details and to keep up to date with changing restrictions, you can visit the dedicated Fiji Travel website here.
Top Activity Picks for Fiji:
- Bouma National Heritage Park - With the Tavoro Waterfalls, the Lavena Coastal Walk, cool volcanic pools and over 150 sq kilometres of rainforest, it’s a nature lover’s dream visit.
- Sunset Dinner Cruise - With Captain Cook Cruises - Sit back and relax, take in the spectacular views. At the same time, a team of local chefs prepares a sumptuous tropical buffet feast from fresh local ingredients, including whole lobster.
- Sebeto Hot Springs & Mud Pool - Enjoy a relaxing soak and unwind with a mud bath and massage.
Grüezi! Home to the famous Swiss Alps, Switzerland boasts some of the most incredible scenery in Europe. One of the best ways to soak in all the country's natural beauty is traveling on their trains. They run like clockwork and are reliable, clean and safe.
- Fully vaccinated travellers will need proof of vaccination status.
- No mask are required for shops, and restaurants.
- No permit required for large-scale events.
- No restrictions on private gatherings.
- Masks are required on public transport until the end of March 2022.
For more information on the announcement by the Swiss government, take a look at the release here.
Top Activity Picks for Switzerland:
- Walking Tour of Old Town - In Zurich, the cobbled streets with galleries, stores, and cafes are a must-visit for any tourist.
- The Rhine Falls - As one of the largest waterfalls in Central Europe, you can not miss the opportunity of this natural attraction. View the sheer size from one of the breathtaking lookout platforms or take a cruise on the Rhine.
- Albula/Bernina Railway Ride - With a panoramic views of the 122 kilometers mountainous landscape, this UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Listing is a unique experience in Switzerland.
3. United Kingdom
Allo, Allo! When it comes to popular tourist destinations globally, the United Kingdom is a regular firm favourite. There's so much to see and do, based on England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Including visiting iconic landmarks, enjoying breathtaking coastal views, dining at world-class restaurants, and attending international music festivals.
- Fully vaccinated travellers no longer need to take any COVID-19 travel tests. As long as you are not from a 'Red Country' from UK Government guidelines (See the full list here).
- No quarantine for fully vaccinated travellers.
- A passenger locator form must be filled out in the 48 hours before you arrive.
- Unvaccinated travellers must take a COVID-19 test 48 hours before travel and a PCR test after arrival in England.
For more information on the travel restrictions in the UK, visit the dedicated guidance page here.
Top Activity Picks for the UK:
- The Platinum Jubilee - 2022 marks 70 years of Queen Elizabeth II’s reign. The United Kingdom has a variety of events lined up this year, including carnivals and pageants.
- The 2022 Commonwealth Games - For sports fanatics, the Commonwealth Games are being held in Birmingham this year, and it is an excellent opportunity to witness sports across 187 nationalities.
- The Shard - Those who are seeking a fantastic view with a cocktail in hand, this 72-storey skyscraper, designed by the Italian architect Renzo Piano, in Southwark, has magnificent views right across the city.
Selamat siang! For millions of tourists each year Bali shines the brightest in tourism. The island offers a magical blend of culture, nature, activities, weather, cuisine, and nightlife. There is something for everyone to discover and explore!
- Proof of full vaccination status is required.
- Travel insurance with $30,000 for COVID-related emergencies is required as a minimum.
- Those visiting Bali as a tourist will need to apply for an e-visa before travelling to Bali or Indonesia.
- Fully vaccinated travellers will have to quarantine in an approved hotel for 4 nights, subject to a negative PCR test.
Visit the Indonesian Government’s website for more information on the latest travel restrictions here.
Top Activity Picks for Bali:
- Sunrise at Mount Batur - This popular hike is around 2-3 hours. It can be organised as a guided tour to visit the summit of this active volcano to see the sunrise.
- Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary - Favoured by photographers and animal lovers alike, enjoy the forest, rare plants, and hundreds of monkeys swinging in their natural habitats.
- Ubud Art Market - A favourite if you are interested in a vibrant artistic atmosphere and enjoy stalls with handmade garments, sculptures, and paintings.
Sawasdee! Millions of tourists choose to visit the “Land of Smiles'' and explore Thailand's tropical paradise. It offers a unique culture and history and is well-known for its tranquil beaches, historic temples and mouth-watering food.
- Fully vaccinated travellers can enter Thailand without having to quarantine.
- Travellers must book into a SHA+ Hotel and produce a negative PCR test on day 1 and day 5.
- COVID-19 insurance.
- There are multiple programs to enter under, and some require staying within a limited area.
For more information on the program and travel requirements for Thailand visit the embassy page here.
Top Activity Picks for Thailand:
- Elephant Sanctuary - In the Mae Tang District, you will find an Elephant Care excursion and activities to feed and take care of the elephants of Thailand.
- Phi Phi Speed Boat Tour - Enjoy an island adventure while touring on a boat. This excursion can show you the coral reefs, Bamboo Island, and Monkey Beach.
- Palace Tours - As a UNESCO World Heritage site, Ayutthaya and Ban Pa are ancient palaces full of history to tour and explore.
While not everywhere is fully open yet, and some restrictions are still in place, it’s excellent to see how global travel is starting to recover so early in 2022.
**Dates and requirements correct on 21st February.